Mike Dent (@oranjutanj)
Humanising Software Development
My name is Mike. I look after humans who create digital experiences for other humans. My job is to keep all those humans happy.
What is an oranjutanj house?
It is a place where oranjutanjs live.
- You can either be right, or you can be happyOn how being self aware is a bitch, why wanting to be right all the time is bad, and what that has to do with anything The cruel irony about trying to become more self aware is that it makesContinue reading “You can either be right, or you can be happy”
- Lessons from trying to be Agile in a Waterfall industryNine months ago my journey led me back into R&D in the life sciences industry, working with (amongst other things) software in a medical setting. The healthcare industry is clearly heavily regulated. Moving from releasing web products several times aContinue reading “Lessons from trying to be Agile in a Waterfall industry”
- Why we should think before labelling someone as a millennialMy degree was in astrophysics. When I mentioned that I studied astronomy to people, the response, “can you read my horoscope?” was more common than I’d have liked. Why did that bother me? It wasn’t that people didn’t know whatContinue reading “Why we should think before labelling someone as a millennial”
- Being an engineering manager and a coachTLDR: Listen to people and have good intentions. Read time ~ 6 mins For anyone who’s spent five minutes trying to understand me, they know that my purpose is to grow myself to grow others. My path in the lastContinue reading “Being an engineering manager and a coach”
- 6 lessons I’ve learned from working with Agile NinjasTLDR; Eliminate waste.Read Time ~ 5 minutes Boy has it been an odd year. A year of volatility, uncertainty, complexity and ambiguity (VUCA), and having an agile mindset has never been more important. Despite the sombre backdrop of 2020, goodContinue reading “6 lessons I’ve learned from working with Agile Ninjas”
- Why emotional intelligence is increasingly required in software developmentTLDR; Because AI can’t automate human emotion (yet).Read time ~ 7 minutes “emotional intelligence—the ability to, for instance, understand your effect on others and manage yourself accordingly—accounts for nearly 90 percent of what moves people up the ladder when IQContinue reading “Why emotional intelligence is increasingly required in software development”
Follow my blog
If you like, please.
Front page banner attributed to Andrew Phillips